New student immigration system set to launch in the UK on 31st March 2009 27

The UK Government today announced the go-live date for the student tier of its new points-based system for migration.

From 31st March, students looking to study in the UK can apply for their visa through the new points-based system which will streamline the Student visa application process.

Under the new transparent system, students will need to prove that they have been accepted onto a course run by a UK Border Agency (UKBA) licensed education institution, prove that they have the means to support themselves and supply their biometric details at their local visa application centre.

If granted a visa, the new regulations allow international students to undertake part-time work of up to 20 hours per week during term time, full time work during the holidays as well as any course related work placements.

A UKBA spokesperson commented: “Thousands of international students choose to study in the UK every year. These changes to the visa application system will allow students to check whether they are eligible for a visa before they even apply, making the whole system more straightforward. We would urge anyone considering studying in the UK to visit the UKBA website now to familiarise themselves with the new regulations and ensure their application can be processed as quickly as possible.”

For the first time, all independent fee-paying schools, colleges and universities that want to accept international students to study with them now need a licence to do so. This will help the UK Government crack down on bogus colleges, something which will be welcome news to many international students, who can now be sure the language school, college or university they intend to study at is an approved educational institution. So far over a thousand UK institutions have signed up to sponsor international students.

About the UK Student Visa
Applying for a General Student visa or a Child Student visa under Tier4 is a simple process and should be done in the country of which you are a national or a legal resident. You can apply for a visa by post, in person or online. For your application to be successful you will need:

·  A current passport or travel document;

·  A visa letter from the institution you are planning to study at;

·  Proof of maintenance funds;

·  Evidence of any qualifications the sponsoring institution took account of when deciding to accept you for the course you plan to study;

·  Any other supporting documents relevant to your application.

You will also need to make an appointment at your nearest visa application centre to provide your biometric details (10 digit fingerscans and a digital photograph) as part of the application process.

The UK Border Agency will refuse your application and you may be banned from coming to the UK for 10 years if you use a false document, lie or withhold relevant information.

Students looking to study in the UK for six months or less, and who do not wish to take any employment while they are in the UK, or to extend their stay while they are in the country, can enter the UK on a student visitor visa.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/aboutus/newsroom/?view=News&id=14675899

Quick guidelines for students

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/quickguideforstudent/

Rawalpindi Seminar: http://www.opfblog.com/7396/rawalpindi-students-updated-on-new-uk-visa-rules/