Here are ways to protect your joints from osteoarthritis or slow its progression:
* Lose weight. Excess weight stresses hips, knees and other joints; every pound lost reduces the load exerted on the knee for each step by 4 pounds.
* Get active. Exercise strengthens the muscles around joints, which can prevent cartilage from wearing down.
* Stay straight. Good posture protects the neck, back, hip and knee joints.
* Don’t sit still. Switching positions can decrease joint and muscle stiffness.
* Lift carefully. Use your biggest and strongest joints and muscles when lifting or carrying to avoid straining smaller joints.
* Break it up. Rest between periods of heavy activity to prevent repetitive stress on joints that can accelerate wear and tear.
* Don’t overdo it. Get help for any job that’s too physically demanding and don’t be a “weekend warrior” by jumping into sports your body isn’t prepared to handle.
Source: The News, 14/9/2008