Lifting or carrying objects — even light ones — can cause injury and pain if you don’t follow the proper techniques.
The National Safety Council offers these suggestions to help prevent back injuries:
* Take the time to stretch your legs and back before doing a lot of carrying or lifting.
* Wear safety protection on your hands and feet.
* Use a stool or sturdy ladder to reach objects that are seated above your shoulders.
* Keep your feet solid. Lift with your legs, not your back. Carry the object close to you.
* Always get help carrying very heavy objects.
* Keep your stomach pulled in and use those muscles to support your back.
Source: The News, 4/8/2008