If you are anaemic or need iron supplements for another reason, taking the pills can be difficult. The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how to make taking iron supplements a little easier:
* Take the pills with food.
* Gradually work your way up to the number of pills your doctor prescribed each day. Start out with one a day, then after three to five days, begin increasing the amount until you’ve reached the daily dose recommended by your doctor.
* If iron pills make you constipated, add fiber to your daily diet.
* If the pills make your stomach upset, don’t take them before you go to sleep.
* If a particular brand causes problems, ask your doctor about different brands or formulas.
— HealthDay News